Il Parco Giochi Ai Pioppi (The Playground Park Ai Pioppi)Bruno Ferrin (b. 1937)
About the Artist/Site
In the park next to his tavern, Ferrin designed and fabricated a series of playground constructions, including swings, slides, roller coasters, the “game of death,” and a trampoline. It all began in 1969, when he decided to combine his work as a seller of baker’s yeast with a second profession, so he purchased and opened a tavern in a poplar grove near the Piave River. He soon came up with the idea of creating games for children to play on, and after he fabricated the first swing he began to dream up more and more ambitious ideas. Some of the rides are more modest, as they are produced in his own workshop with recycled materials, while for larger ones he has used the services of an engineering firm; for these he purchases new materials and welds the rides together in a carpentry workshop.
The Playground currently has fifty non-motorized attractions spread over 30,000 square meters (3/4 acre) of land, and the park’s plants were all sown by Ferrin as well. But although the site is already quite extensive, Ferrin continues to think about new attractions, so new rides and games await fabrication and testing.
The Playground is open to the public free of charge during the tavern’s open hours.
Translated by Jo Farb Hernández
Map & Site Information
76 Via VIII Armata
Nervesa della battaglia, Veneto, 31040 it
Latitude/Longitude: 45.84451 / 12.18104
76 Via VIII Armata, Nervesa della battaglia, Veneto, 31040, Italy
The Playground is open to the public free of charge during the tavern’s open hours
San Leonardo Valcellina, Friuli-Venezia Giulia