Kohler Foundation seeks Preservation Coordinator
Preservation Coordinator - Kohler Foundation
Location: Kohler, WI
The Preservation Coordinator assists the preservation team in all phases of projects including the research, acquisition, cataloging and conservation of art collections and art environments. The coordinator supports the foundation’s outreach to and projects with museum professionals, artists, conservators, technicians, contractors and others to complete projects in a timely and professional manner with respect to budgets, team collaboration and preservation goals.
The individual will assist in project tracking and reporting and must have project coordination experience. The coordinator is a self starter with a flexible and collaborative style, strong interpersonal skills, and excellent follow through. The individual will interact with a variety of fields of discipline and backgrounds. The position requires high proficiency in computer software, outstanding organizational skills, and experience with art-related projects. The coordinator works well under deadline, and can handle multiple projects at once. The coordinator has a strong interest in art and preservation initiatives.
- Participates in the search, acquisition, preservation and gifting of collections and art environments.
- Documents assigned projects, including dimensions, descriptions, condition reports, and photography. Prepares spreadsheets and other documents to retain the information in a usable and accurate manner. May require travel to off-site projects.
- Prepares a wide variety of presentations, reports, and spreadsheets as assigned.
- Occasionally makes presentations on topics related to art preservation and completed projects.
- Supports preservation and KFI staff in tracking preservation projects.
- Assists with collection care and hands-on cleaning of artwork, often working with art conservators.
- Hands-on maintenance of warehouse and conservation spaces.
- Works with Preservation Manager with packing and delivery of artwork. Coordinates shipping and transportation.
- Performs other related assignments delegated by the Executive Director and Project Managers.
Relationships and Contacts
- Reports to Executive Director, Kohler Foundation
- Provides daily support to two Preservation Project Managers
- Guides the work of contract employees and interns, as assigned
- Constant contact with all KFI staff
- Frequent contact with staff of John Michael Koher Arts Center and other museum professionals
- Frequent contact with art conservators and other contract employees
- Occasional contact with KFI Preservation Committee members
- Bachelor's degree in art history, studio art museum studies, or a related field required.
- Outstanding organization skills
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, and ideally photo editing software. Photography skills highly desirable.
- Requires a valid driver's license, and up to 20 percent travel in and outside of the state including occasional weekends.
- Must be able to lift boxes up to 35 pounds, and load items to heights of three to four feet.
Please provide a cover letter that showcases why you are interested and qualified for this position.
This is a full-time, salaried position, with benefits.
The Preservation Coordinator is an employee of the Kohler Foundation and not Kohler Co. Kohler Foundation is a private, non-profit charitable organization, committed to the preservation of art environments and important collections across the U.S. We also support art and education initiatives in the state of Wisconsin. To learn more, check out our website at www.kohlerfoundation.org.