Black Madonna ShrineBronislaus Luszcz (1893-1960)
84-108 St Josephs Hill Rd, Pacific, 63069, United States
The Shrine is open daily from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. For more information, contact Sr. Mary Francis, 636-938-5361; by email: email@example.com.
About the Artist/Site
In 1927, Bronislaus Luszcz immigrated to the United States from his native Poland. Ten years later, this Franciscan brother built a chapel in the Ozark Hills near Eureka, Missouri to house an icon of Our Lady of Czestochowa, the beloved “Black Madonna” of his homeland. After completing the chapel, he began building grottoes dedicated to “Mary and the saints.” Using concrete and native Missouri tiff rock acquired from the nearby mining town of Potosi, Brother Bronislaus constructed seven grottoes altogether, which he embellished with colorful rocks, jewelry, colored glass, ceramic figures, and seashells, many brought to him by visitors. The chapel was destroyed by fire in 1958, but Brother Bronislaus worked on the site for the rest of his life
Map & Site Information
84-108 St Josephs Hill Rd, 63069
Latitude/Longitude: 38.417023 / -90.6819054
Small concrete objects - cityscapes
St Louis, Missouri
West Fulton, MO
Trail of Tears Memorial
Garden of Eden
Jubilee Rock Garden
Have pictures? Know More?
Find out how to contribute to this site.
Post your comment
No one has commented on this page yet.